SAN DIEGO Former Hesperia High football player Jay Waddell, currently a redshirt freshman wide receiver at San Diego State University, was stabbed along with another SDSU football player at a party near the campus Oct. 2.

Waddell suffered four stab wounds to his stomach that pierced his small intestine and was hospitalized for four and a half days. He has been discharged from the hospital and is recovering.

SDSU Police Capt. Lamine Secka said Waddell is strictly a victim in the stabbing and an investigation is ongoing. Secka added that no suspects have been taken into custody.

"At this point our department is only investigating this as him being the victim, and there was another victim from that same incident," Secka said. "We don't have any reason to believe they are involved or are suspects.

"We have some suspicion that there may have been gang members present, but we cannot confirm that at this time."

According to Secka, officers responded to a call at 12:29 a.m. on Oct. 2 to a disturbance at a party taking place adjacent to the campus. When they arrived, people were fleeing the scene and upon further investigation, police discovered two people had been stabbed, including Waddell. Neither Secka nor Waddell named the other victim, but Waddell said he was another football player.

Waddell initially declined to speak with the Daily Press, but after being told that police had already confirmed details of the incident, he described what happened that night.

Waddell said the party was hosted by SDSU basketball players and many SDSU football players were present. He added that "guys who looked like gang bangers" arrived at the party, and eventually a fight broke out.

Waddell tore his ACL earlier this year and has not fully recovered, keeping him off the football field this season. He said he tried to get away from the melee as it grew, but could not move quickly enough because of his injury and was soon swallowed by the growing mob.

"These people just came to the party and looked like they were trying to start problems from the moment they got there," Waddell said. "I was trying to walk away, and I just got caught up in it.

"Somebody hit me from the back and one of my friends tried to come save me, and then two guys jumped me. I didn't even know I had been stabbed until somebody told me."

Waddell said most of the football players stayed out of the incident. But when they saw Waddell in trouble, some players, who Waddell declined to name, came to his aid to try and save him.

"There were a lot of athletes at the party just trying to have a good time," he said. "When they saw me in there, they went in to try and get me out, which made them vulnerable. One of the other football players did get stabbed as they tried to help me."

"I didn't realize I got stabbed until everybody was running away and somebody walked up to me and was like 'You got stabbed!' and I lifted my shirt up and I saw some guts hanging out," Waddell said. "I was real scared. I didn't know what was going to happen. I didn't know how deep it went in, but you definitely could tell that it was deep."

That's when Jamaal Franklin, a sophomore guard on the SDSU basketball team and a Serrano High graduate, came to his aid.

Franklin took off his own shirt and tied it around Waddell to help stop the bleeding. Waddell said Franklin helped him into the car of Roy Isaiah, a friend of Franklin's and also a Serrano graduate who is currently a SDSU student, and Isaiah drove him to the hospital.

Waddell suffered four punctures to his small intestine and underwent surgery. He was released from the hospital on Oct. 6.

"I have a scar from my belly button to my hip from surgery because they took my whole small intestine out," he said. "I knew I was going to make it the whole time, but if it had punctured one of my other organs, I definitely could have bled out."

Neither Franklin nor anyone associated with the San Diego State football program or athletic department returned messages seeking comment.

Kyle Glaser can be reached at or at (760) 951-6274.