|
HesperiaStar.com
  • Apple Valley man burned after trying to siphon gas with vacuum

    • email print
      Comment
  • APPLE VALLEY — A man was flown to a trauma center with second- and third-degree burns after he attempted to remove gasoline from his car with a shop vacuum, authorities said.
    The Apple Valley Fire Protection District was called to a home in the 19000 block of Osceola Road in Apple Valley, east of Apple Valley Road and south of Highway 18, shortly before 3 p.m. Friday.
    Firefighters found that a car had caught fire and a man had suffered burns to his back and lower extremities.
    After interviewing family members, authorities said the man had apparently just bought the car and was in the process of removing the car’s old fuel pump.
    “It appeared he had removed the fuel pump, which sat on top of the tank,” AVFPD Fire Marshal Jason Nailon said. “This allowed him access to get the Shop-Vac hose to the bulk of the gasoline.”
    Nailon said gasoline vapors came into contact with the vacuum’s electric motor, which created sparks, igniting the car and the man’s clothes.
    The man was driven to St. Joseph Health, St. Mary and then flown to the Arrowhead Regional Medical Center burn unit in Colton.
    " data-width="650" data-numposts="20" data-colorscheme="light">