Most Viewed Stories
• GRANITE HILLS 4, HESPERIA 1: At Apple Valley, the Cougars won their final game before heading into league play Friday. Carter Cummins allowed six hits and a run in six innings of work, and Niko Saavedra led the offense by going 2-for-3 with two doubles, an RBI and a run scored for the Cougars.
• GLENDORA 2, OAK HILLS 1: At Glendora, the Bulldogs lost their final warmup before starting league play by one run Friday. Logan Griffin was 2-for-2 with a double, a walk and two stolen bases.
• OAK HILLS 2, VICTOR VALLEY 5: Kyle Callahan brought in both runs for Oak Hills with a two-run shot in the first inning, and he also collected two of the Bulldogs’ three hits and stole a base. Victor Valley freshman Soloman Bates threw his third complete game of the season on Thursday, allowing only three hits and recording 10 strikeouts to lead Victor Valley to a 5-2 win over Oak Hills.
• SILVERADO 10, HESPERIA 9: At Victorville, Chris Pena hit a two-out RBI double down the left-field line to give the Hawks a win in walk-off fashion and snap a four-game losing streak.
• RIM OF THE WORLD 2, SULTANA 1; SULTANA 16, RIM OF THE WORLD 12: At Hesperia, the Sultans and Scots split a nonleague doubleheader Thursday. In the first game, the Scots won behind pitcher Justin Soto, who scatteed three hits and faced just 24 batters in a pitchers duel. Rim of the World clinched the game with two runs in the seventh. The Sultans’ Jordan Bray tallied an RBI single. The Sultans won the second game behind a 10-run second inning, but had to hold on as the Scots scored the game’s final eight runs. Everyone in Sultana’s lineup recorded a base hit, and Josh Gooding ended up 3-for-4 with four RBIs.
• HESPERIA 271, ARLINGTON 277: At Moreno Valley, Sean Lynch fired a 48 on the Moreno Valley Ranch Mountain nine to lead the Scorpions to the nonleague win Thursday. Cristian Perez came in second for Hesperia.
• OAK HILLS 11, LANCASTER 4; SAUGUS 10, OAK HILLS 2: At Lancaster, the Bulldogs split two games at the High Desert Classic on Friday. Stephanie Bergmann was a combined 6-for-7 with a run scored. Victoria Gonzales went 3-for-5, had three RBIs in the first game and batted in the Bulldogs only runs of the second game. Jacalyn Edwards pitched six innings between the two games and had four strikeouts. Josie Mora was 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored in the first game.
• SULTANA 4, ROSEMOND 3; SULTANA 14, GRANITE HILLS 0: At Lancaster, the Sultans picked up their first two wins of the season at the High Desert Classic on Thursday. The Sultans led 3-0 heading into the seventh, but Rosemond tied it up to send the game to extra innings. Sultana turned a triple play in the top of the eighth. Then, Amanda Sanchez drove in Milan Poindexter in the bottom half of the inning to win it for Sultana.
• LA SIERRA 9, HESPERIA 5; HESPERIA 11, CALVARY MURRIETA 9: At Moreno Valley, the Scorpions wrapped up play at the Valley View Tournament with a loss and a win Wednesday. Macie Christian was 4-for-4 with three RBIs, a home run and a double in the first game. After struggling for the first three innings of the second game, Hesperia scored 11 runs in the final four innings to come back and beat Calvary Murrieta.
• VICTOR VALLEY 11, SULTANA 6: At Victorville, Alesia Martinez went 3-for-4 with four RBIs and Jackie Belcher was 3-for-3 with two triples in the Jackrabbits’ home win Tuesday. Martinez was a single away from hitting for the cycle.
Prep boys tennis
• HESPERIA 14, APPLE VALLEY 4: At Apple Valley, the Scorpions’ top singles players,
Richard Mendoza and Joey Adamiak, dropped a combined two games in their Mojave River League opener. Hesperia remained undefeated at 5-0 and 1-0 in the MRL.
• HESPERIA 16, BARSTOW 2: At Hesperia, the Scorpions swept doubles play against the Aztecs to cruise to a nonleague win Wednesday. No. 2 doubles pair Marcelo Alvarez and Daniel Fuentes and No. 3 doubles pair Jigesha Patel and Simen Shchurov both swept and lost just one game total for the Scorps.
• OAK HILLS 17, SULTANA 1: At Oak Hills, the Bulldogs had their full lineup intact for the first time this season, and they cruised past the Sultans in their Mojave River League opener Wednesday.
Prep track and field
• OAK HILLS SWEEP VICTOR VALLEY: At Oak Hills, the Bulldogs swept the Jackrabbits in convincing fashion Thursday. The boys team won 124-12 while the girls won 81-18.
• SULTANA SWEEPS BARSTOW: At Hesperia, the Sultans swept the Aztecs in a dual meet. The Sultana boys won 105-30 and the girls won 95-32.